Our planet Earth is deteriorating at a rapid rate due to human interference rather than human co-existence.
We seem to think we are separate from every single thing on this planet… let’s not forget that we would not be where we are today without the natural resources the planet has and still consistently provides.
There is no planet B. We are running out of time. This is the inconvenient truth that requires action from every single person. Keep reading for tips on what you can do down below!
Impact of Meat
If you haven’t heard: Eating animals isn’t cool anymore. Not only here in America, but all over the world. People are consuming less and less meat because they realize the detrimental impact it is having on the planet. Yes, maybe our ancestors ate bison and caught fish back in the day. Today is a different story; we are over consuming dead animals at a rate that is no longer sustainable.
Animal agriculture/ consumption of dead animals accounts for the largest percentage of greenhouse gases today. Greenhouses gases are linked directly to climate change (increase in bizarre weather such as hurricanes, drought, cold/hot seasons elongated). We are STILL destroying the rainforest (the Earths lungs) to make room for more animals to graze. Look at these pictures.
Not only that, but the run-off from billions of animals is poisoning the freshwater system.
Not to mention the dead-zones in the ocean the nitrogen is creating. “Scientists have identified 200 areas declared as ‘dead zones’ where no living organisms can now grow.”
The consumer mindset is killing billions of animals which is, in turn, killing millions of humans and poisoning our planet.
People don’t seem to think they have an impact by themselves, but you sure do. There are over 7 Billion people living on this planet today. That number had to start at one; each of us is relevant. Each and every person has a choice, especially when it comes to what’s on their plate. Children depend on adults to make the right choices for them, but adults today can barely help themselves. There’s a lot of misinformation out there, but something that is solid is the negative impact meat consumption has on just about everything. You can still have Taco Tuesday and burgers at the family barbeque.. just substitute plants for dead body parts and everyone wins!
Impact of Daily Waste
I don’t know about you, but where I live there is always trash no matter where you look. On the side of the highway, on the streets & sidewalks, in bushes, in the trees..everywhere! Not only is it extremely unpleasing to look at, but it’s just damn sad. It’s heartbreaking to witness our once beautiful, green planet turn into a mound of dirty trash. The trash isn’t just un-slightly though, it is deadly. Trash is found in the stomach of animals and ends up poisoning and killing them. Considering a large percentage of our trash is plastic, it won’t biodegrade anytime soon. Plastic has been found wrapped around birds necks strangling them to death. If that we’rent bad enough, our trash has the biggest impact in the ocean. Ditch the plastic anytime you can!!!
“World wide, 13,000-15,000 pieces of plastic are dumped into the ocean EVERY DAY.”
“There are believed to be 46,000 pieces of plastic in every square mile of ocean.”
7 Tips to Live with Less Waste
- Cut out the meat. There is no better day than today.💯
- Stop using plastic water bottles, buy glass or stainless steel. It’s killing even more animals across the planet (as if the meat industry wasn’t enough).
- Start walking or biking. Put that new stainless steel water bottle to the test. If the store is less than a mile away, just try walking instead of always hopping into the car.
- Go shopping at thrift stores instead of going out and buying something new every week. Goodwill has a lot of things, not just clothes but kitchen & home items for a lot less money. Win win.
- BYOB: Bring your own bags. Become conscious of how much plastic is being used when grocery shopping. Buy reusable cloth bags & get some for buying more fresh produce. When online shopping, try to buy a lot at once so you’re not left with a whole bunch of boxes throughout the week.
- There’s a cool website called Ecosia 👈🏾 that plants trees every time you search for something. It’s just like using google, but with an amazing added benefit. There’s also an extension for it on Safari. Set it as your homepage on your computer and download it on your phone.
- No more plastic straws! Have you seen the video of the turtle getting the straw taken out of his nose? Here’s the video ..Pleasurable sipping isn’t worth all that pain, tell your waiter NO straw. Buy your own glass/stainless steel straw, they’re very inexpensive and will last a lot longer.
Make better choices. There is no better day than today.
Stop contributing to the mass extinction taking place right now on the planet.
Heal the planet, heal yourself.
Happy Earth Day 2018